Time in Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Time in Seoul, Korea


Monday, February 8, 2010

Pre-Flight preoccupations...

"Are you sure you won't change your mind?"
"Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

Well, I'm not in Korea yet, but just for fun, I thought I'd post the instructions I received from my school about what to do when I arrive in Seoul:

"How to get to PSA from the airport

- When you arrive, pick up your luggage and exchange some currency.

Taking bus is the faster and cheaper way to Seoul from the airport than taking a cab.

- Please walk out to the bus stop # 5A or 11B with your luggage and buy the limousine ticket (14,000 won) at the ticket booth near the bus stop or you can pay directly to the bus driver.

- Please wait for the bus number # 6010.

- Please take the airport limousine bus #6010 to the Galleria Department Store

in Apgujeong-dong.

- Show the ticket or pay the ticket to the driver and tell him to drop you off.

"Drop me off at the Galleria Department Store in Apgujeong Dong"

압구정동 갤러리아 백화점에 내려주세요. (in Korean to show to the driver)

- Please give me a call before you get on the bus. (X’s cell phone number: XXX-XXXX-XXXX)

- It will take about an hour from the airport to the Galleria department store usually, but in case traffic is heavy (from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm) it may takes maximum 2 hours.

- When you get off at Galleria department store, Mr. X who is in charge of taking care of teacher's housing will be waiting for you.

(The administration manager Mr. X’s cell phone: XXX-XXXX-XXXX)

- Mr. X will take you to PSA.

Have a pleasant flight!"

At that point, I will be taken to a hotel, which I will stay in for the week. As far as I've been told, my class observation period starts 8 or 9 am the morning after I arrive... which will be... 7 or 8 pm in Ohio. Hopefully I'll have slept on the plane to acclimate to their time zone a bit. The following week, I will move into my new, very tiny apartment! First stop: buy a plant and a cutting board; to be used separately, of course.

You'll notice the bus is 14,000 won, which is approximately $14.00 USD. Coming from New York with their public transportation prices, I could easily spend $30.00 on my way home from the airport, which was about a 20 minute drive. However, an hour or two on a bus wringing my knuckles about getting off at the appropriate stop after a 17 hour plane ride and, in total, a nearly 2-day journey overseas with massive jet-lag is not necessarily the choice I would make.

Cab? Maybe. How expensive are we talking, anyway? $50.00? $60.00? I could deal with that, considering the fact that I don't have to tip, it would be quiet and relaxing, and I wouldn't have to use my brain in any way, shape or form after I showed the driver my little piece of paper...

Looks like we'll see how I feel when I get there! Wish me luck, I may need it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment